Tuesday, May 04, 2010

When I Think Of Mama, by Darlene Outler

When I think of Mama, I see a smiling face,
warm loving eyes, her style and grace
Starting and ending each day with prayer,
such an example of God's tender care
Her chores seem endless, a long list to do,
yet never too busy to tie a child's shoe
She's wiped more noses, administered more meds,
sat up long nights by a sick one's bed
Moms cook, they clean, attend PTA,
manage esteemed careers and car pool all in one day
You can call her anytime and get the best advice,
hear the latest sales, share a laugh, discuss your strife
Mothers get us through puberty, college, marriage and divorce,
childbirth, miscarriages, cancer and menopause of course
Moms provide more cakes, more presents and drive thousands of miles,
help with school projects, homework and do laundry in infinite piles
She's your first song, your first dance...a whisper in the wind,
your first teacher actually, your disciplinarian - faithful to the end
Sometimes she feels guilty after all her sacrifice.
She just wants what's best for you, your whole entire life
Now that I'm almost 60 and Mommy's 93,
it's time for me to care for her, the way she cared for me
I give a loving smile, a warm embrace, I bend to tie her shoe.
She's been my cheerleader, my BEST friend, it's the least that I can do
So thank you God for Mothers and the sisterhood we share.
So similar as a unit...as individuals...so rare
Happy Mother's Day to each and every one of you. Hope to see you on the 15th for our Mother's Day Luncheon in Hartville! Blessings. D

1 comment :

LuAnne said...

Darlene, I love this poem and it really does state the truth. I have to admit it brought tears to my eyes, it' beautiful just like you. Like you I have had the wonderful oppurnity to take care of my mother and I would not have traded it for anything, unless she wasn't ill. I never relized just how much I had really learned from my mother until years after she passed away and then it hit me when I was in my late 30's that I am more like her everyday and it's because she was such a great teacher that I never even knew she was doing it. I owe all that I am today to my mother for giving me the guideance that I needed to be have as good of a mother as she was. She was the glue that held us all together and it rubbed off on myself and my oldest sister. We sit and talk about all the things that we do now that she used to do and we said then "I'll never do that" or "You couldn't pay me enough money to clean the way she does". I was a young 27 when she passed away and I wish that my children could have known their gramma, but they didn't and now I have proudley taken on the gramma name and hope I am half as good as she was. Theres a saying "You never know what you have until it's gone" it's so true so my wish for everyone is to cherish every moment with the people you love and never take anything for granted.

Love LuAnne